Have you noticed yourself complaining a lot lately? Or just feeling down?
Start a gratitude journal. It’ll help. Don’t believe me? Hear from the research discussed at Harvard.
How do you do it? It’s simple:
- get a notebook or start a document on your computer in the morning
- write/type at least 3 things you’re grateful for
- think back on those 3 things throughout the day, or tell a loved one or friend
Pretty easy, right? Well maybe you’re thinking, “I’m in a terrible mood, life sucks, I have nothing to be grateful for”. That’s not true. No matter what life is like at the very moment you’re reading this, you still have things to be grateful for. Like clean air you’re breathing and the internet (with access to virtually everything at your fingertips). The more you think about stuff in a positive light, the more you’ll realize you’re grateful for, so just try it.
Here are some more examples, of things I’m grateful for:
- I’m grateful for my health
- I’m grateful to live in a safe, clean country
- I’m grateful for books, they teach me so much, entertain me, enlighten me
- I’m grateful for those working hard to save the planet
- I’m grateful for animals, especially elephants and hummingbirds – they’re so cool!
- I’m grateful for my boyfriend, my family, and friends
I could go on and on, but you get the point.
The more we focus on positive things, the less time we spend focusing on negative things. If you have a negative thought that comes up, try thinking about something positive from it that you’re grateful for. For example, if you just got fired, think about how that job was probably not the right fit for you and now you have some time to really focus on what you want to do in your life.
Really be aware of your thoughts. Are they positive or negative? Rephrase and negative ones to positive.
You’ll become a happier person and feel better about life.
So…what are you grateful for? 🙂